Jenny's 18th Birthday Dinner

by - 23:34

I've finally caught up with all my birthday posts, although I didn't manage to include them all last month... I can't believe it's already December, knowing that Christmas is approaching (despite actually celebrating Christmas) I can feel the festive spirit around with everyone's Christmas jumpers, socks and of course, the Christmas songs. 

The funniest thing about this celebration was the fact we decided to celebrate my cousin, Jenny's birthday the day before her actual birthday, so she wasn't actually 18 yet, so she couldn't legally drink or anything - although I agree, drinking isn't necessary when you turn 18... I didn't even drink myself.

It was so hard trying to get a group picture of everyone since no one ever seemed to be ready - I have such a bitchy face, please excuse me. Let's just say our selfie attempts with a selfie stick weren't too great... From shaky pictures to cutting out quite a few people's heads.. Opps. Flash makes us look very pale, that's all I've got to say, but the flash picture includes more of us for sure! Forever not being able to see Duy though... Who was supposedly on the left at the far end...



For Jenny's dinner venue choice, she selected Thai Square, the Covent Garden branch. It was pretty convenient for everyone to get to. I was a bit worried since Thai food means spicy food... However I was fortunate to be able to find something on the menu which are suited my preferences. But as I said previously, I'm one to check the menu online before I go to a restaurant to make my life a whole lot easier - Welcome to the forever indecisive Sophia...

Here you can have a look at the online food and drink menus:
Thai Square Covent Garden Food Menu
Thai Square Covent Garden Drinks Menu

Majority of us selected the Pad Thai, which was the one I selected. It wasn't at all spicy, my cousin, Tracey warned me that it may be very sweet but the taste was just right. I chose the Pad Thai with king prawns. However there are variations to this course, you can opt between king prawns and jumbo prawns. There is even a vegetarian option available which Jenny got. The Pad Thai, as quoted is a "popular Thai noodle dish of Chanburi rice noodles, stir fried  with prawns, crushed peanuts, bean curd, bean sprouts and egg". Meanwhile, the vegetarian Pad Thai, as quoted is "stir-fried Chanburi rice noodles with Pad Thai sauce, bean curds, bean sprouts, spring onions and crushed peanuts".


Meanwhile my cousins, Tracey and Helen opted upon the curries. Helen chose the Massaman Curry whilst Tracey chose the Panang Curry. The Massaman Curry, as quoted is a "traditional Muslim inspired style of cooking from the south of Thailand, tender meat cooked in rich coconut milk and Massaman curry paste with carrots, onions and potatoes, very mild" - You can choose between the chicken and lamb as the tender meat included in the curry. Meanwhile, the Panang Curry, as quoted is a curry which has "a rich taste spicy and relatively dry. Panang curry paste cooked with coconut milk and choice of prawns, beef or chicken, garnished with shredded lime leaves". 



Meanwhile Khang and Adam had much more interesting dishes... So interesting that my mind has actually gone blank on what they got for dinner... Opps! All I know for sure is Khang ordered the Chicken Satay as a starter as he was the only one to order a starter with a main dish. However, looking from the menu, he seemed to have ordered the Bangkok Lamb if I am not wrong... But don't hold me to this because I may be wrong aha. I can't forget, Duy who got the Thai Square Fried Rice. Once again quoted from the menu is "traditional fried, sautéed with egg, spring onions, tomatoes and vegetables". I was contemplating whether to get this dish or the Pad Thai originally but ended up getting the Pad Thai which I have no regrets doing so.




I think one of the conversations that came up during the dinner, was knowing which type of curry is spicier, red curry or green curry, and honestly I found out something new myself. Since Tracey works at a Thai restaurant herself, she was recommending us all dishes, and I found that the green curry is spicier than the red curry despite the fact you usually associate that red spice is spicier e.g. red chillies... Or what I thought anyways...

Anyways, moving on to the gift giving, Jenny went through different gifts that she received from a Mac lipstick that she had wanted, a jacket, a wine glass to represent her 18th birthday, birthday cakes, jewellery, lush and of course from me, a monkey toy - I think my present was the best not gonna lie... I joke aha.



Once again, we managed to end up getting two cakes aha. Jenny received a cake from me and Tracey but also from her and Kylie's mum. Each to their own, both creams were Asian creations, with cream but one was pink whilst one was blue with a cute animal decorated on top.




Then of course, we wanted to save one of the cakes, so it was deciding which cake to cut. We ended up cutting the bigger cake, which was the pink cake, we each received a piece, cut by Helen and Adam - teamwork was on pointe! After we each had grabbed a piece, we divided the rest of the cake into takeaway boxes to take home, we ended up with 9 boxes, despite there being only 7 people attending. We each took one box to take back to our families whilst the remaining two went to the staff of the restaurant who gave us a great service throughout the whole occasion.


And of course, who would end the celebration without taking a selfie with the birthday girl aha. I thought I would get a selfie with Jenny with the gift I gave her - she's still contemplating what to call her monkey I'm sure!


Thank you Jenny for hosting a great birthday celebration! Especially trying to keep our family still connected, it's a worthwhile experience. To my readers, thank you again for reading another one of my birthday posts, I hope to keep you updated with the latest events whilst I can, although it's going be a busy month as Christmas is drawing closer. 

You May Also Like

0 comments