DAZE: Behind The Scenes Debut MV Exclusive

by - 14:11

Getting into the rhythm of blogging more during my free times before and after work, and I think I also have a better idea of post content - Let me know what you guys think!

Talking about opportunities, I gained an amazing opportunity last month to be able to work on the production of two Korean music videos. You may ask, how did I get this opportunity? Well, I was lucky enough to be suggested by one of my friends at K-Online Television (Don't forget to check out their new web series teasers "To Korea, With Love" here), thinking I would be a suitable candidate. Originally, I was thinking of offering the role to other friends, but decided I would probably regret missing such an opportunity - And I'm glad I decided to opt into helping out!


If you hadn't already read the title of this blog post, then I'll have to let you know that one of the artists who I was assisting in their MV was none other than DAZE. Just for my readers, I'll give you guys a little background information on him. DAZE is an artist under Unique Tunes Records. He first released his debut EP called "Young Love" on December 6th, 2016, in which he had composed, programmed and wrote all the songs himself. Following his first debut EP, he released his second EP called "Friday" on April 13th, 2017. He was born on February 22nd, 1993 (making him currently 24 years old (International Age)) under the name of Gil Min Woo. The concept of his music can be described as "Chill-Out R'n'B" and his music has been compared to a combination of DEAN and Heize (I found this funny because DEAN + Heize = DAZE). Check out his tracks below varying from his debut EP "Young Love" to his 2nd EP "Friday".



For this particular production, we produced his debut MV for the song "Friday". His song "Friday" signifies his relationship with a girl. The day, Friday is considered a meaningful day, a day in which all his memories are reminiscent. Friday was their special day, and every Friday since his breakup he looks back to those memories time and time again. I really enjoyed listening to this song, it was a song I couldn't get sick of despite how much I'd listened to it over and over again.

For the MV, I only worked on the studio parts of the MV due to my work schedule. I mainly focused on lighting and did some minor directing for some of the shots. I think the one thing we were worried about during the production was the language barrier, as DAZE was only able to speak Korean although he understood a bit of English. Fortunately, Hyungmin (the executive producer at Unique Tunes Record) helped translate instructions along with Ray Hill (from KIMOXAVI).



It was quite a simple set up done in a photography studio in Hammersmith. We had two lights focused on DAZE with the main camera placed in between. Despite the minimal amount of equipment used in the shoot, I appreciated the various low-budget techniques which we used for the production. I hope that within the future we will be able to upgrade and produce bigger productions with better equipment and more.

The final MV only featured a minimal amount of studio shots, you can find them at "2:18-2:39". Check out the final production below:



Also, I am so happy to find that the MV has reached over 100,000 views in less than a week! You can also find my name being credited in the description box for lighting and as a special thanks from the UK ^^

Don't forget to check out the Director's cut which has recently been released!



Overall, it has been lovely working with Unique Tunes Records for this production. A special thanks to DAZE, Ray Hill and Fatal Dope (of KIMOXAVI), the executive producer, Hyungnim Kim (of Unique Tunes Records), our lovely director and cameraman, Maisie Duff and Michael East (of SP.RY Productions) and of course, Freya Bigg of UnitedKpop. You've all made my time during this production an amazing experience, thank you for your kindness and I will never forget it!

Don't forget to follow DAZE for updates on his latest tracks and more. Just follow/like/subscribe and more below:
DAZE's Soundcloud
DAZE's Facebook
DAZE's Instagram

Thanks for reading! Tune in next time, to find out about the second Korean MV I worked on last month!

You May Also Like

0 comments