Asia House Film Festival 2016: The Case of Hana and Alice (Hana to Alice satsujin jiken)

by - 12:07

So I actually love films so if I get the opportunity I try to watch a film at least once a month. I was fortunate to receive complimentary tickets to the Asia House Film Festival this year! If you've been tuning into my blog you'll know about my recent attendance at The Japan Foundation Touring Film Programme, which gave the opportunity to watch some Japanese film showcased at the ICA. 

I decided on choosing films which I found most appealed to me, and it was incredibly convenient to find that the two films I wanted to watch were at the same location, on the same day, about an hour's apart from one another. Honestly with the travel costs in London, it was great knowing I didn't have to travel to London twice for two films... Although it may seem a bit much to watch two films one after another - Like how do you even remember everything that happened? Fortunately, I actually have a pretty good memory for these things! Wish it applied for other things... Like studying...


So for this particular post, I will be reviewing my first film, which happens to be The Case of Hana and Alice otherwise known as Hana to Alice satsujin jiken. If hadn't worked it out already, yes it's a Japanese film. It also happens to be an animated film, although it uses a rather different animation style than what we usually see of typical Japanese anime. This animation technique is called rotoscoping.

Check out the trailer below:


I realised that you may prefer the English subtitles for those who don't understand Japanese like myself, here is the trailer with English subtitles from the San Diego Asian Film Festival:


So if you don't have time to watch the trailers, you be wondering what is the film about?
Well, the film begins with a girl and her mother who recently moved into their new home. Her mother is divorced, and the main lead, Tetsuko Arisugawa (Arisu or "Alice" for short) is a middle school transfer student. Since transferring to the school, she becomes a victim to bullying to which she seeks comfort in dance, something which she used to enjoy in the past.

What are my opinions about the film?

Well honestly, I found their friendship rather interesting, like Hana and Alice they all demonstrate their strengths and weaknesses. I felt their friendship was very unique in a way but I can say that both individuals were very supportive of one another. An example is shown below with Alice hugging Hana to comfort her.


I found it hilarious watching Alice's antics, for example: she tends to jump to conclusion and does stupid things e.g. she tails the wrong person. But through tailing the wrong person, which let's be honest... The situation seemed a bit dodgy... But the result was actually rather sweet and endearing. I find that it conveys Alice as a kind-hearted being and quite talented - examples of her talents include her skill for dancing.


As for Hana, I find that she is rather intellectual... Well.. Until romantic interests are involved... Her relationship between a guy shows that she tends to assume certain comments which even Alice finds rather weird. Examples include assumptions that the guy loves her despite the trouble she makes.
I found the storyline to be quite predictable but the rumours circulating around the plot were interesting.


I hope you enjoyed my latest blog post, I'm still catching up with a lot of event blogging since I have a lot going on right now, but hopefully I'll be up to date by the end of the month! Stay tuned!

For more information about Asia House, please check out their website below:
 http://asiahouse.org/

And for more information from Asia House about the previous screening of "The Case of Hana and Alice" you can check out the information below:
http://asiahouse.org/events/time-case-hana-alice-hana-alice-satsujin-jiken/

You May Also Like

0 comments