Nottingham Adventures: University Open Day

by - 12:31


Nottingham, The home for the famous Robin Hood. Honestly, I've already fallen in love for this city, it has more or less everything I want... Yeah okay maybe it doesn't have an LV (honestly if I come to Nottingham, I will miss the arcade - specifically my friends, the LV community is practically my second family) but hey? We all gotta make sacrifices right?

But for the actual uni day, let's say it was quite a trek around the campus, fortunately my Media lecture was in the Great Hall located in the Trent building located in the University Park campus. I actually really like the course, there is quite a large majority being International students in my course (actually a lot of Asians to be perfectly honest aha) but that helps to get comfortable with people, since we tend to get on easier with those from similar ethnic backgrounds. I know quite a few people left during the lecture, but it may be because the Chinese lecturer was having way too much fun laughing at his jokes or talking in a long-winded manner. My friend and I couldn't help but laugh at the lecturer, because of his "fobby accent" (referring to FOB as fresh off the boat). 

 

I think the one thing that attracted me the most, was when I read one of the modules featured "Japanese manga, Anime and Korean Wave" which happens to be a huge interest of mine. I also really liked the general course layout even if the lecturer talked about it in way too much detail aha. But along with having the opportunity to study a language from a beginner's level or from where you left off, I think it is a great way too expand your skills. There's a high possibility of me taking Mandarin Chinese if I go, as it seems to most appropriate as I will be able to use it with friends but also learn Cantonese alongside to communicate with my Cantonese-speaking relatives. As well as languages, there are opportunities to study abroad, I would most likely consider going to Japan as I really love the Japanese culture and it seems like a great opportunity to learn more about it. They are highly developed with technology and I think this would assist my Media practices at university too.

Other than listening to Media lectures, I also had the opportunity to take a tour around accommodation. Looking at the difference between self-catered accommodation and catered. For the catered accommodation there was minimal equipment in the rooms and the building itself was much older. There was a library as well as a large dining room and a common room with a TV, snooker table and table football. 

Meanwhile for the self-catered accommodation, there was one which caught my attention, it was the one self-catered room which had it's own kitchen and the layout was aesthetically appealing as well. With it's own en-suite bathroom, as well as place to study and a table to eat etc. I felt it had all the necessaries I would need although I understand the risks having an installed kitchen inside the same room I sleep and work in (honestly with my non-existent cooking skills this is highly risky... Ahaha... Oh dear...) but still, there is much love for this room.

Overall, I would rate this university an 8 out of 10. This happens to be my first university open day, but the overall atmosphere is great, everyone is friendly and I think I would easily be able to get along with people at the university (well hopefully... if I don't become antisocial aha) but hey no university is perfect. I highly doubt any university will receive a 10 out of 10 from me. But for now, this is my firm choice followed by Hertfordshire as my backup. 

Stay tuned for the next half of my Nottingham adventure from Friday the 26th of June ^^ 

You May Also Like

0 comments