Top 20 Summer Korean Hits!

by - 18:00

Apologies for the inactivity, I've been busy doing work for Unitedkpop recently so haven't had a chance to update my own blog! However, feel free to check out my latest posts on Unitedkpop here ~

It's finally June, which means summer is coming~ I thought since I've been keeping updated with the latest K-Pop/K-HipHop tunes for my work with Unitedkpop, that I would bring to you my top 20 favourite summer hits for your summer playlist! (These will be in no particular order! You'll also realise there's a lot of SISTAR in this post - My summer queens )



GRAY - Summer Night (Remix) ft. Hoody

NOTE: So I decided to go on a GRAY binge one evening, and ended up discovering this song by GRAY. The song is a chill-out summer beat, produced by GRAY himself (he's one of the best producers I know from AOMG). I've also come to love Hoody, so hearing her and GRAY's voice together in one song is a dream for me aha! This song has to be one of my favourite remixes of all time, since I'm not usually the type to listen to Korean remixes.


SISTAR - Loving U

NOTE: So recently the news has announced that their upcoming comeback will be SISTAR's last comeback. They announced they will be disbanding... Considering I know SISTAR best for their summer tunes, it's sad to hear about their disbandment. On lighter news, Loving U was one of my first SISTAR songs that I listened to! I remember this song being the first K-Pop song I learnt to dance to properly back in 2013!


Taeyeon - Why

This has to be one of my favourite solos so far released by Taeyeon - although she never fails to amaze me with her vocal and releases. This upbeat summery solo is totally a tune to add to your playlist, I already have it on mine. The vibrant MV also conveys the summer vibes providing with a visual is desirable. In regards to the song it features some EDM influence with an R&B vibe.



Jay Park - My Last ft. Loco & GRAY

This was probably one of the first Jay Park songs I listened to, Joah was probably my first - not too sure. All I know is that I got into Jay Park quite late. However, last summer I spent my entire time replaying this song constantly (although it was released in 2015). To me, any Jay Park collaboration featuring Loco, GRAY or Hoody is something I know I'm going to enjoy aha. GRAY and Cha Cha Malone are probably one of my favourite producers, and they both worked on this track - so obviously you know it's gonna be good! It's quite a comical MV, but shirtless Jay Park had to be one thing which knowing Jay Park, you knew it would definitely be featured! It's a catchy song, which I continually never get tired of listening to.


WINNER - Really Really

When I first listened to this song, I knew already that I was going to have to form a summer playlist with this song. It was a song which was released in Spring this year and the song which drew me into stanning WINNER. Although I have liked their previous songs, this song was the one which drew me into their fandom. The song is an upbeat catchy song, with a simple dance to follow as well. You can't help but get this song stuck in your head - also the release is to this day, one of their most popular releases of all time. But also their first release with former WINNER member, Nam Taehyun.


DAY6 - I'm Serious

Probably one of my favourite groups that I stan. They are a humorous bunch, and they produce music which never fails to amaze you with all it's varieties through instruments played by themselves. This song is their release for April - for 2017, they decided to have a comeback for every month on the 6th day of every month (6th for DAY6) ahaha. This song is a great summer song to play on a road trip to the beach - I'm sure many of you will be heading to the beach this summer to relax, tan and more~ If you haven't already you should check out their music and stan - #makejaenothungry - If you want to understand the reference, click here ~



Girls' Generation - PARTY

Beach party anyone?! This song is another summer tune from 2015! The song is from the first group which got me into K-Pop, better known as Girls' Generation or SNSD. This MV is a fun MV and the music can be described between a mix of electro-pop and bubblegum pop! After watching this MV, I literally wanted to dye my hair Taeyeon's hair colour - although I didn't think I'd pull it off aha. Definitely another catchy hit to add to your playlist if you're looking for a girly, summer vibe!



SISTAR - Touch My Body

I remember this song best because of it's unique dance move which many described as the "dog pissing" move - although somewhat crude, I couldn't help but laugh because... It's actually rather true ahaha. But we are back again with our summer queens, to bring you 'Touch My Body'. SISTAR never fail to catch on, and once again we have a great summer hit from 2014. Many idols have also reenacted the famous move such as J-Hope from BTS, as well as label-mate, BamBam from GOT7. Surprisingly enough, it was even featured on an episode of Family Guy (you can check out a clip of it's feature here.)


Jay Park - Drive ft. GRAY

Another Jay Park song! Jay Park released some great songs this year for his album 'Everything You Wanted'. The song features GRAY and was also produced by GRAY. I remember when this song was released, I found out that Bora from SISTAR was featured in the MV and it seems Jay Park has a crush on Bora so it must be a dream come true. Also, the award for the best subtitles has to go to Jay Park for subtitling his own MVs - 'GRAY SEXY ENGLISH TIME' cracked me up. Another track you've definitely gotta listening to whilst you 'drive' ahaha - bad pun RIP.



SISTAR - I Swear

Back again with another SISTAR hit~ When I first heard this song I thought it was gonna be quite a laid back smooth jam, but then I continued listening and the beat changed and it became more upbeat - despite the change, I still continued to enjoy the song a lot. I've read many comments regarding the MV and their choice of outfits and cinematography, but I still appreciate the girls. They've had to face a lot of issues regarding sexualisation of society as well as skin colour (particularly Hyorin who is naturally tanner than many K-Pop idols and has received criticism). Nevertheless, the group are literally squad goals and body goals :')


MOBB - Hit Me ft. KUSH

Forming a duo with this pair is a mess yet you can't help but enjoy their music because of how lit it is ahahaha! The group, MOBB formed with iKON's Bobby and WINNER's Mino bring to you some amazing hip-hop tracks. This song is rather different from the others because of it's hard-hitting beat, it's a song you can play during the summer when you're ready to club. When the beat drops, you know you can't help but jam to the song - it's a fun and lively beat, a song to let yourself loose! (Trust me I know from experience from hearing this song at NB2 back in Seoul last December loool).


SanE x Raina - A Midsummer's Night Sweetness

In contrast to the previous track, this song has a sweet melody which is accompanied by San E's rap. The song is a collaboration between San E and After School's Raina. The song was released during the summer of 2014, and achieved number 1 in 10 major music charts after its release. A song you listen to on a summer's night whilst drinking beers and catching up on life. SEVENTEEN also made a rendition of this song with their HipHop unit, which you can check out here~


Girl's Day - Darling

Girl's Day have been popularly known for their sexy hits such as 'Something' and 'Expectation' but they came back during July 2014 with 'Darling'~ The MV and song presents an 80's vibe with the bright visuals as well as the introduction to the song. The bold coloured setting, with the checkered floors remind me of the 80's style of roller disco! The dance is similar to the 50's vibe along with the retro style aesthetic~ Many concepts tend to aim to bring a lot of modern vibes and latest trends, so seeing famous old trends being brought back for this MV was rather unique to me!



ASTRO - Breathless

I first found out about ASTRO when my friend showed me a video of Rocky choreographying a song (you can check it out here - I can't believe this boy is a 99'liner... When did I become so old as a 97'liner omg...) so I was considering getting into them for a while but it took me longer than expected. I'm still new to the group, but I decided to watch their show 'To Be Continued' which made me more informed about the group - I think my bias is Eunwoo aha! But the group have a cute concept for this MV which features IOI's Yoojung. Another beach summer song as a part of their 'Summer Vibes' second mini album! "Breathless can be described as a refreshing song with a clear and additive melody." - a track which follows in the genre of synth-pop.



ZICO - Boys and Girls ft. Babylon

Although the track was released in November 2015, the song provides a lot of summer vibes. I'm rather questioning the stylists thoughts on their wardrobe choices for the MV though... The song is an upbeat, feel-good track! I guess ZICO's focus to tell his girl to have fun and be care-free, refrain from being awkward and worrying to much and to just have a good time!~ To think, Zico composed, wrote lyrics and arranged the track amazes me! No wonder the song topped the Gaon Digital Chart throughout the entirety of November - he's amazing!


NU'EST - Not Over You

NU'EST debuted back in 2012, but despite their comebacks they were lacking in promotions. They were probably the first boy group I stanned since debut. I was sad to see 4 of the members participated in Produce 101 to bring light to the group for an opportunity to do better with their career. For them, it would be their last opportunity for success (especially as SEVENTEEN who debuted later, succeeded better than them... Sigh...) ~ In regards to the song, it's a very chill summer song, which I could probably hear myself listening to as I ride my bike appreciating the summer weather (I mean I'm saying this as if I can even ride a bike properly... RIP). Anyways, I hope you guys check out this group, because they are so underrated! (PS: Watch Produce 101 Season 2 if you have the chance, because these guys are great on there!)



Taeyeon - Starlight ft. DEAN

If I'm honest, when I first heard this song I wasn't really a fan but I didn't give it much of a chance. However, when I listened to it once again, I couldn't help but fall in love with the song - I'm glad I gave it a second chance. The collaboration between two of my favourite artists talks about a summer love - and honestly I can't help but ship them in this music video. The combination of their voices provides a sweet melody, that you can't desire their relationship presented in this MV. (PS: I'm so excited that I will have an opportunity to see DEAN live next month in London on the 25th of June~ I'll let you guys know how it is huehuehue~)



GOT7 - A

The MV itself is actually quite fun and what I can say is somewhat cute? (ft. Mark's ramen hair) and conveys a more colourful visual in comparison to their debut which was more focused on a hip-hop image. The song was produced by JYP himself, and can be described as a light and bouncy track. I first got into GOT7 after I found out JJ Project (a duo formed with GOT7's Jinyoung and JB) were no longer going to be a duo but to join 5 other members to become GOT7. Although the group debuted and were described as a Hip-Hop group, the group changed up their concept whilst still showing off aspects of their b-boy style choreography in the piece. (SIDENOTE: You guys need to check out their reenactments of their 'A' teasers on Weekly Idol - check out the clip here).



Hoody - By Your Side

Ok, if you watch the MV you'll be quite surprised between the contrast of the song and the actual MV. The MV is quite fun, but then it gets rather deep- If you listen to the song you will realise it seems like a very upbeat song, and the lyrics can describe the care-free reality. Hoody has become one of my favourite solo artists recently, especially as she's the only female artists signed to AOMG! If you haven't already, check out her 'On and On' album - all the songs are so easily to listen to!



Crush - Oasis ft. ZICO

I've taken a liking to CRUSH's voice for a long time but after attending a concert he held in London last November, I literally became a big fan of his music. His vocals via audio and live are flawless. Usually I'd expect one or the other to be lacking, but he does well in both - I'm jealous!! If you're feeling some summer R&B vibes, this is the song for you. ZICO's rap is great, but watch as the beat drops and the rap gets hard and heavy - it's like 'go hard or go home' kinda feel aha~ We also have some random ass feature of Zion T near the end of the MV. CRUSH's silky voice ft. ZICO's strong rapping skills = a great hit!



I hope you guys enjoyed my latest blog post~ I'll attempt to update a lot more now that I have found more time to post... If I'm not procrastinating by watching dramas.. Let me know your thoughts of the tracks below! I'm also welcoming any suggestions, so I can add some more tracks to my own summer playlist! :D

You May Also Like

0 comments