K-Pop Academy: Week 2 - K-Language (Hangul)

by - 13:03

I apologise for my lack of blogging recently. A lot of stressful situations and jam-packed schedules led me to have a lack of time to post, let alone sleep... Which led to me becoming ill - What is life. Anyways, I'm back so I hope to catch up with my updates. Thanks for patiently waiting if you happen to be reading this aha.

Thus begins the second entry of my K-Pop Academy blog series. For this week, we went to King's College to have a lecture from Professor Jaehoon. He presented to us the History of Korean language, as well as theories in regards to the likeliness of Korean Language to other languages - e.g. The different theories, West, East, South and North (Altaic theory).


Cr. Korean Cultural Centre UK
For someone who is currently in the process of learning Korean, I thought it was quite interesting to see how Hangul was developed. The most I knew was some of the Hangul characters before entering the class and that the creator of Hangul was King Sejong - I knew of this because I recently watched a short drama special called "Splash Splash Love" which I thought was pretty cute! Definitely check it out!! I'm not one to watch historical dramas but my friend recently introduced me to "Love in the Moonlight" featuring Park Bogum (literal bae) and I don't regret it, which led me to check out "Splash Splash Love"! If you have any other historical dramas to recommend, do comment below.

Now it's time for me to spread my knowledge of what I learnt from the lecture aha! I actually happen to carry a notebook to every lesson so I thought it would be a good chance to take down some notes. I think I got carried away though... I wrote about 5 A5 sides of notes...

Cr. Korean Cultural Centre UK
Anyways, I won't bore you guys too much with this history if you aren't interested in this kind of thing, but if you are, definitely research more into it!


FACTS

- Hangul was created in the 15th century (1443) during the 25th year of King Sejong's reign
- There are 40 letters in Hangul (this includes compounds)
- Before Hangul was created, they used to write to each other using Chinese characters
- Seoyeh is a calligraphy technique related to the art of writing Hangul

*You can check out more facts when I post my homework later on!


Moving on, we began trying out some "Seoyeh" otherwise written as "서예" in Hangul. It was an interesting experience especially as we attempted to use the brush and ink to create our own individual designs. I attempted to vary my brush size especially when writing characters. Irena and I decided to test out what we wanted to write first by using the newspaper placed under our sheets as a practice. It was quite useful, because it meant we could avoid making mistakes.

Cr. Korean Cultural Centre UK
Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. I spent so much time on one piece I didn't get a chance to start on another. Personally, I found the experience incredibly soothing, which relates back to what Seoyeh is also known for. Seoyeh is also known to calm and soothe the spirit.

You can check out my own creation below:


To summarise what I wrote in Korean, it says:
"Hello! My name is Sophia. Thank you, Korean Cultural Centre UK! I love you!~ Beautiful Korea~"



Homework of the Week!

So this week, we were given 3 options for the homework. I decided to create a poster showing the knowledge of what I had learnt from the lesson, including useful phrases and using lots of colours!




* Just a warning, I have some serious issue of writing in a straight line... I fail to do so without guidelines... I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler half the time... Oh my...

Anyways... I hope you guys enjoyed the 2nd edition of my K-Pop Academy blog updates!! I will be attempting to catch up on all the weeks... Especially as I've currently just completed the 4th week... I hope that you will continue reading! Also, I hope you guys learnt something new - that's a lot of "hope"... I'll stop now omg. 


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love this post!!! :) My gateway historical korean drama is Sungkyunkwan Scandal - watched it just to get a taste of historical dramas but ended up loving it, so I'd definitely recommend it :) I've heard that Empress Ki is good too though I've never actually watched it myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually watched Sungkyunkwan Scandal now!! It was rather interesting, and I think the first historical drama I properly watched recently was Love in the Moonlight. Since then I've watched quite a few historical dramas!

      Delete